City Services

Water/Sewer/Trash Service: To begin water, sewer, and trash services, new residents must come to City Hall to complete an application and pay a deposit to open their account. The water/sewer deposit is $175.00 and trash deposit is $25.00, for a total deposit of $200.00. Water is turned on at the resident’s home on the date service is requested and when the resident is present to ensure there are no leaks or interior faucets that are in the ‘on’ position. Deposits are refundable when a resident moves out of the area and has paid their final water and trash bill.

Trash is always billed on the water bill, as is the sewer service, if your home is on sewer. Water meters are usually read at the beginning of each month for the prior month’s service. Water bills are sent out by the 5th of each month. If you do not receive a water bill by the 7th of each month, please call City Hall (816-630-7900) to report that you have not received the bill. We will be able to tell you the amount of your bill.

Water/Sewer/Trash are due on the 20th of each month to avoid any late fee penalties. If the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, there is a mail slot located to the right of the City Hall front door for your convenience. Payments in the slot on the next business day are considered to be ‘on time’. After the 20th of the month, a 10% late fee is assessed. If the bill is not paid prior to the 28th of the month, your water will be disconnected and there will be a water turn on fee of $50 assessed along with the bill that must be paid before the water can be reconnected.

Your sewer rate is based upon the amount of water used. If you are filling a swimming pool, please call City Hall before you begin to fill the pool so we can read the water meter prior to the pool fill. Please call City Hall after the pool is filled so we can read the water meter again in order to adjust your sewer rate. This service is only allowed once per season.

Trash is picked up every Wendsday. Trash must be bagged or in a trash receptacle (you provide) and placed in the road along the curb no later than 6 a.m. to ensure it is picked up. The company contracted by the City for trash service is Deffenbaugh. If you have a question as to what can or cannot be placed in the trash for pickup, please call Deffenbaugh at 913-631-3300. Arrangements should be made directly with Deffenbaugh for pickup of large items or items containing Freon or CFCs. Deffenbaugh will charge you directly for these items. Yard waste items, such as grass clippings, leaves, tree limbs, dead plants, etc., are not to be placed in the trash. Deffenbaugh will not pick up these items.

If you believe there is an error on your water bill, please notify City Hall as quickly as possible. The meters are read by computer and not manually. If there is a problem with your bill, we will go to your house and manually read your meter at that time. If you wait until the end of the month when making your payment, it will be difficult to determine the amount of water used the prior month and the current month. Our meter reading program is quite sophisticated and will let us know if it detects a possible leak at the homes. When the possibility of a leak is detected, a notice is attached to your front door notifying you of a possible leak in your home. Please do not ignore those notices! This could be the warning of something serious beginning to happen with your water usage. We have found, for the most part, that it is usually the toilet tank mechanism that is causing the increased usage. You can check this possibility out very easily by putting several drops of food coloring in your toilet tank and not use that particular toilet for approximately 4-6 hours. Check the toilet bowl every hour to see if any of the colored water has seeped into the bowl. If so, then the tank mechanism needs to be replaced. If there is no colored water seepage into the bowl, you may contact City Hall and request that a ‘profile’ be done. This is provided to you at no additional cost. It involves our Maintenance Department coming out to your house with the computer and running a profile report. The profile report will provide information as to an approximate date and time when the increased usage began. This can be helpful to you in determining why the increased usage occurred.

Please read the reverse side of your water bill every month for Wood Heights “News Shorts” as City Hall tries to keep our residents informed of any upcoming events or items that may be of interest.

City Wide Garage Sale: The City holds two (2) City wide garage sales each year. The first is held in the Spring and the second is held in the Fall. Both are advertised in a local newspaper. Residents will be notified on the back of their water bills as to the specific dates.


Garage Sales Other Than City Wide Garage Sales: The City has an Ordinance that allows only two (2) additional garage sales per home throughout the year. You must come into City Hall to obtain a Garage Sale Permit (no cost) prior to holding the garage sale.


Animal Day: The Town and Country Animal Clinic from Richmond has participated and provides dog and cat vaccinations at a reduced price. This is open to the public. City Hall gives the animal licenses (dog tags) free to Wood Heights’ residents who have their dogs vaccinated that day. June 9, 2018 from 10 am until Noon.


Spring and Fall Clean-Up Days: Deffenbaugh provides two ‘Clean-Up’ days a year. The first is held in the Spring and the second is held in the Fall. Residents are notified on the back of their water bills as to the specific dates. They request that no more than a pickup truck of trash be put out curbside for pickup.

Yes Items: Small appliances (no Freon or CFC), furniture, swing sets (must be disassembled), carpet in 4’ lengths (rolled and tied), large pieces of glass need to be broken down, boxed, and marked as “broken glass”, paint dried with lids left off of cans, All bagged, boxed or bundled items must weigh less than 65 pounds.

No Items: Car batteries, car parts, tires, wet paint, oils, automotive parts, solvents, and all other household hazardous materials, fireplace ashes, appliances containing CFC or Freon, large quantities or remodeling and construction debris such as sheetrock, concrete, and wood, yard debris such as rock, dirt, soil, tree limbs, etc.

Arrangements must be made with Deffenbaugh to pick up Freon/CFC items. There will be an additional charge for this service. Deffenbaugh will invoice you directly for this service.

Wood Heights City Hall Rentals: The City of Wood Heights rents out the City Hall Community Room to all residents and non-residents. It is rented on a first-come first -served basis. Those renting the room have access to the City’s kitchen area which is equipped with a stove, refrigerator, sink and microwave. There is a pass-through between the kitchen and the Community Room. Alcohol is not permitted on the premises. Rates are currently $80.00 for room rental (non-refundable) and $80.00 for deposit (refundable) for residents and $100.00 for room rental (non-refundable) and $100.00 for deposit (refundable) for non-residents. The refundable deposit fee is due at the time the application is turned in and the rental fee is due at the time the room key is picked up. Your deposit is refunded provided you leave the hall/kitchen in the same condition as when it was rented.